Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blueberry Muffins


So... have I mentioned YAY SUMMER!!? It's here, it's hot, and it's wonderful. No matter your expectations, summer just never disappoints. I am also proud to announce that I am no longer a broke college student! I dropped out!! Only joking, I just got a job. I'm now working at a giant sandwich trailer located about 30 feet or so from the door of my building. My commute time is like 90 seconds, which is awesome. But anyways, on to the important stuff: these blueberry muffins. With a cinnamon streusel topping. Yeahhh. I started making these muffins as a morale booster for a family that my mom is friends with, and boy do they work (well, they boost my morale, anyway). I mean, just check out these blueberry bombs:

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (more or less)
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) fresh blueberries

For crumb topping:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp + 2 tsp flour
2 tbsp cold butter, cubed
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and spray with a non-stick spray.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
3. Place yogurt and vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup, then add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture.
4. Fold in the vanilla and blueberries, then set aside to make the topping.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon, using a fork to cut the butter into the dry stuff. (At this point I usually stick the topping in the freezer to keep the butter from melting while I fill the muffin tin with the batter.)
6. Distribute muffin batter evenly between muffin cups, then sprinkle generously with the topping.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out sans crumbs.

The end result is ridiculously rewarding. Seriously, look at that blueberry goodness:

As a plus, these freeze quite well. Just let them sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes to defrost, or zap them in the microwave for a few seconds.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you! I saw your post on: BakeBakeBake and loved your pictures so I came to check out your blog. I hope you don't mind me following you?

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means! It's nice to meet you too. I checked out your blog and I LOVE that you do reviews as well as recipes! Turns out I've been using the wrong kind of white chocolate chip, and now I must switch to Hershey's. All of your pictures made me hungry, too. I'm definitely going to be trying out some of your recipes, they all sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete