Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Triathletes and the Insanities They Suffer


It's been a long day, dear readers. Let me start off by apologizing for my cruddy photos before I move on to discuss my mother's early morning fit of insanity. In her defense, she wasn't the only one: this morning, 1500 very motivated females took part in the Danskin triathlon (which benefits breast cancer research, woop!). Three of those 1500 were my mom and her friends, Sue and Julie. I call them crazy because just watching a triathlon exhausts me, let alone actively participating (I wouldn't actually know). And I say it's been a long day because I managed to roll out of bed at 5:30 am (my dad might be able to take some credit here) in order to spectate. All three triathletes finished looking incredibly happy, so a big congratulations to them! Afterwards, I spent many an hour in the kitchen making strawberry ice cream (do I hear my next post calling?) and banana pudding to celebrate. But first, a story: While walking to the triathlon from the parking area at 6:30 this morning with the husbands and a son of the formerly mentioned triathletes, a bobcat darted across the road in front of us and promptly scaled a six-foot barbed wire fence, to which one-year-old James declared, "meow!" It was adorable.

And now for a few words on banana pudding (more apologies for my disjointedness. This post is all over the place!). I like to think I make a pretty good banana pudding, but I've been absolutely forbidden to reveal the recipe, or my mom would have my head! Fortunately for you, the key is to do nothing. I mean, you have to make a vanilla pudding (you could even spring for the instant-from-a-box kind, but if you have the time, I strongly recommend making your own) and then layer it with Nilla wafers and sliced bananas, but then you just stick it in the fridge and don't touch it for a few hours (overnight is awesome). This lets the flavors meld together so that the pudding is less like separate components forced to inhabit the same container and more like tasty ingredients that want to be best friends.


I'll give you a second to cringe at the lighting (or lack thereof) in this picture... And so that you're not left empty handed, here's a recipe for vanilla pudding which is not the one I use, but which looks promising:
Vanilla Pudding
(adapted from the New York Times Cookbook)

• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1/2 cup sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 3 cups whole milk
• 3 egg yolks
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a heavy saucepan mix the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Gradually whisk in the milk, then whisk in the egg yolks. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens. Immediately remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. Set aside to cool for about an hour, whisking occasionally.

To make banana pudding, spread a small amount of the cooled pudding in the bottom of a container, making sure the entire surface is covered. Cover with a layer of Nilla wafers, and then add a layer of thinly sliced banana. Cover the bananas with another layer of pudding, then a layer of Nilla wafers and a layer of sliced banana, respectively. Repeat until you've used all of the pudding, making sure to end with a layer of either pudding or Nilla wafers (but NOT banana- you don't want any banana exposed to the air or it will brown terribly). Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight. When ready to serve, spread a layer of whipped cream over the top of the pudding, then dig in!



And a final CONGRATULATIONS!! to all the 2010 Danskin participants, but especially to my mom, Sue, and Julie!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!!! Now I need another race to work off the pudding. : )

    ReplyDelete