Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hey, It's You! Wow! It's Been Ages!

Yeah, I did it again. I'll be surprised if my blog isn't suffering from abondonment issues by now... At least I can say I treat my cat better (although it's not like my blog doesn't have plenty of food). Anyhow, remember this caramel butter I made so long ago? And how it came with a surplus of delicious caramel buttermilk that I came dangerously close to drinking straight up out of the jar? Let me spin a tale of self control: I did not drink the buttermilk; I saved it to make these little orbs of happily-ever-after:


The best part about these pancakes is that they are indeed pancakes, so they're really easy to make and super delicious. You can use any buttermilk pancake recipe and just sub your caramel buttermilk (because I know you all went and made caramel butter and have just been absolutely dying to find out what to do with the buttermlk...) for the regular buttermilk. Alternately (because maybe there might be just one or two people who didn't make any caramel butter), you can whisk a few tablespoons of caramel into the wet ingredients of your pancake recipe. If you don't happen to have a go-to pancake recipe, however, here's the one that I used:

Caramel Buttermilk Pancakes
serves about 4

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
more butter (caramel or otherwise) for frying

Preheat your oven to about 150-200F with a baking sheet in the middle to keep your pancakes warm between the frying and the eating.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Whisk the wet ingredients in a different bowl and then pour into the well. Mix until just combined (there will be clumps of flour that you need not worry about).

Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a little butter (you be the judge) and let it melt, covering the surface of the pan. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the middle of the pan and cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook the other side until it is golden brown. Transfer your pancake to the baking sheet in the oven and continue the process until you run out of batter.




Next, smother in copious amounts of butter and syrup

and watch some X-Files (not pictured). Or if pancakes are too much trouble for you, cut out the middle man and just swig some caramel buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment