Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Making Up For Lost Time


I love cold weather. My favorite thing about it, though, is avoiding it by cuddling up on the couch with a book or some good old tv. And hot chocolate, of course. What is winter without hot chocolate? After 20 years of life, I think I've finally created my favorite hot chocolate recipe. It's easy to make and has a super secret ingredient! Alright, it's not a super secret, it's ice cream (because I really like ice cream).

Hot chocolate
1 scoop chocolate ice cream (I used Blue Bell)
1 ounce milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk (whole milk will make it super creamy, but there's nothing wrong with lower fat milk if that's the way you want to go)
small pinch of salt
tiny dash of vanilla extract

Put everything into a mug and microwave it for one minute (keep an eye on it so that the milk doesn't boil over). Let it stand for about 5 minutes so that the chocolate chips melt, then stir it until the chocolate is mixed into the milk. If you have a milk frother (looks like this), use it to blend the hot chocolate; this incorporates the chocolate into the milk completely so that the consistency isn't grainy. If you don't have a milk frother, pour your hot chocolate into a blender and pulse it a few times, then pour it back into the mug. Reheat for 30 seconds if it has cooled off too much, then enjoy!

This recipe is fun because you can use different flavors of ice cream, such as strawberry or mint! That will keep life interesting, I'm sure. Before I duck out, check out this cute mug I got from the Good Will for 99 cents:

No comments:

Post a Comment