Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Comfort Food and Therapy Through Baking


Today started off really weird. First thing this morning, I got a text message that read: "UT Alert: armed subject reported last seen at PERRY CASTANEDA LIBRARY on 09282010 details to follow." It sounded like this guy was about to be arrested, so I wasn't too worried. Then a few minutes later, another text: "UT Alert: armed subject reported last seen at PERRY CASTANEDA LIBRARY SHELTER IN PLACE STAY WHERE YOU ARE AT MORE INFORMATION TO FOLLOW." Well, if that's not alarming! I spent over 3 hours sitting on my couch watching the news, wondering what was happening and whether or not I would have to go to school (I didn't!). The gunman reportedly fired shots into the air on the 6th floor of the library before shooting himself with an AK47 (how he got an AK47 into the library, I don't know). Luckily, nobody else was shot. The campus was put on lockdown while APD, UTPD, and SWAT searched for an alleged second suspect who was never found (and probably didn't exist). I could hear the alarms, sirens, and helicopters out my window, and when the students were evacuated from campus I could see them marching past my building. (I'm mostly writing this down because I don't want to forget my own account of what happened.) I am so glad that I wasn't on campus when this was happening (my classes would have been in the middle of it) and I think it's lucky that no one else was killed. Aside from this, other crappy things happen to people (unfortunately), and when really bad things happen people need to be comforted, and my favorite comfort takes form in chocolate chip cookies.


I've been using this recipe forever, and it comes from the back of a bag of nestle tollhouse chocolate chips.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use 2 3/4 cups)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 (I usually do about 350).
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside. Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add the flour, then stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets and bake for 9-11 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for a few minutes (I do about 5 minutes to keep the cookies chewy) and then transfer to cooling rack.

These cookies are even more amazing if you freeze the dough for a day or so after mixing, which gives the flavors time to meld together. Also, if you have some vanilla ice cream, these cookies make great ice cream sandwiches (put a scoop of ice cream between two cookies, then freeze overnight before eating).

No comments:

Post a Comment