Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

My First (Moderately Successful) Foray Into Fondant


My best friend once said that she liked elephants, and ever since then it's been her "thing". Every gift-giving occasion, she gets at least one elephant-type present without fail, and by now she has way more elephant candle-holders than any one person should probably have. I'm not saying she doesn't like the elephant gifts, just that she isn't as elephant-crazed as her room decorations might suggest. Anyway, her birthday was mid-september and her mom asked me to make the cake, and of course I obliged (I can't pass up an opportunity to feed people, it's in my Jewish blood). The cake was carrot, and I made the elephant topper out of marshmallow fondant so that I could contribute to the elephant theme in a non-permanent way. Now what I'm about to say next may come as a bit of a shock but please don't be mad... I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the cake :( That weekend was particularly busy for me and the weather was dark and gloomy which makes for bad food pictures anyway. But to make it up to you (all you readers out there... anyone?) I'm going to share the best carrot cake recipe I've ever come across. And next time I make it - because there will be a next time - I'll make sure to get plenty of pictures so that I can repost it. And now for the recipe:

Ultimate Carrot Cake
adapted from I don't know where...

Cake:
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 1/3 cups apples, chopped
3 packed cups carrots, grated

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups (give or take a little) powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350° F. Beat sugar and egg together. Slowly add oil. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices; add to sugar mixture. Combine nuts, coconut, apples, and carrots. Add to batter and mix well on slow speed until just combined. Pour into 2 greased and floured round 9-inch tins. Bake 45 minutes or until done. Cool.

While the cake is cooling, cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the salt and vanilla and combine, then add the powdered sugar, a bit at a time, until the frosting is the desired texture and sweetness. Frost and assemble the cake once completely cooled.

Since I don't have any cake pictures, here are some more of the elephant topper:

No comments:

Post a Comment